by Bob Bearden
Only one more day until we see the beginning of the end. Will it be Santorum? Will it be Paul? Or will Huntsman soar to the top in a last minute surprise? Probably none of the above. But, it doesn't really matter who gets the nod in Iowa tomorrow because they are all made of the same cloth and are essentially saying much the same things.
Their take on how to fix our nation, put people back to work and end poverty is simple they want to go back to failed policies of the past and try them again. Fresh ideas are of a dearth when it comes to the gaggle of geese that are running to take president Obama's place in the Oval Office. They offer no real concrete solutions to any of the myriad of problems plaguing our nation and its citizens.They are much like the old Ronnie Milsap song, 'Lost in the Fifties Tonight'.
Their solution to putting people back to work is simple - let them lazy sob's go out and find a job. The government shouldn't be creating jobs. Their solution to growing the economy is to cut taxes on the 1 percent and big corporations and let it trickle down. A bad idea when it was first tried and yet a bad idea today. They would let private interests take over the postal service. An institution of government that has served this country well since before it was formed.
And they have no solution to ending poverty. They just don't care. The poor and disadvantaged are not capable of dumping money into their campaign coffers so they don't count and aren't important.
What is important to them is ending government as we know it. They want to end social security. The want to end Medicare. They want to do away with the postal service. None of them ever saw an government program or institution they couldn't do a way with.
They to a person lack a knowledge or understanding of what this nation is all about. They lack even a fundamental rudimentary knowledge of our constitution or what it means. They can't even quote correctly from it. They hate our form of government. It is too socialistic for them to swallow. They all would prefer a more corporate friendly form of government. They to a person believe that corporations are human entities.
Whomever receives the nod in Iowa you can bet your bottom dollar (that's a stretch of course cause you may not still have one) that they will be ready willing and able to do the bidding of the Koch Brothers and any other corporate interest that is willing to toss a few million bucks into their campaign. For them Citizens United is the order of the day. If elected they will serve only their masters the upper 1 percent. The other 99 percent will have to stand in line for the crumbs they are willing to toss them.
Iowa and its outcome will serve only to put a more permanent face on the person who wants to destroy our form of government and replace it with a form of government that is not 'of the people, for the people and by the people', but one that is 'of corporate interests, for corporate interests and by corporate interests'. After tomorrow the gaggle of geese running against Barack Obama will shrink.
That's not a bad thing, but it won't change the tenor of what they are saying. It will still be an ideological race for the hearts and minds of America. And if by some chance whomever wins tomorrow should end up in the White House come January 2013 it could well be the death knell for our Democratic Republic! ----- Bob Bearden